Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Leaving Brazil


No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.930 / Virus Database: 2410.1.1/5016 - Release Date: 05/22/12 20:34:00

Hi All,

19 May 2012

I was not happy when I went up to finish my emails today. I bought a hour of WiFi which I assumed meant I could use it when I wanted to, but no the hour was for one hour from whenever you first logged on and could not be carried over. So I wasted quite a bit of time getting no where. However, the guy for the fuel arrived and I got that sorted very easily. George had a torrid time sorting out the starboard heads pump, which now works. There were no spares available in Cape Town, but we managed to make a Whale pump valve work. We all took the afternoon off – Rob to an internet cafĂ© in town and the rest of us lazing around the pool.

20 May 2012

Up early ready to lift anchor and set sail for Trinidad. We cleared the breakwater by 07:30 set the spinnaker in 18knots. Great sailing until the wind increased to 20 – 25 and evening was approaching. So down with spinnaker and up genny. Just as well as the wind got up to 26-27knots. Didn’t see many fishing boats during daylight, but they all popped out after dark. Only had one fairly close encounter – passed about 200m away. Always amazes me how these guys survive one boats that are little more than a grown up dabchick and here they are 30 – 40nm from the nearest land anchored in 20m in 25knots of wind fishing.

Supper a Brazilian pot roast and potatoes. I don’t think I have ever had meat tougher than this.

21 May 2012

Position 14:00 UTC -3  01 52.801S 040 45.191W

Good days sailing until about 19:00 when the wind backed and increased gusting to 24knots. Down Spinnaker up genny.

Joyce not feeling to well so George made supper – Spaghetti bolognaise followed by fruit and custard.

22 May 2012

Position 14:00 UTC -3  00 18.105S 043 05.574W

Somehow we seemed to have entered the northern hemisphere weather – wind has backed from SE to NE and blew hard during the night, but eased by morning. So for the first time since entering the trades we hoisted the main and with current helping - 2knots – we manage 6 – 7knots COG. When the wind dropped to 13 - 15knots I decided to try the asym. Just as we got it up the wind increased to 18knots and it was pushing us over more than forward so back to genny.

Though Joyce is feeling better George is cooking supper tonight. So waiting to find out what’s coming.

Ian, I hope all is sorted for our stop at Chagaramas.We should get there 31st May - 1st Jun. I think that is a week end - will they work or will we have wait until Monday?

Justin, Thank you

Cheers

Chris

 

No comments:

Post a Comment